Hearing that your pet needs surgery can be daunting and stressful. Here at Puget Sound Veterinary Specialists, our Surgery Team is here to guide you and your pet through the entire process, from your initial appointment to when your pet is healed and beyond. Our surgeons, highly-trained and skilled support staff, and the entire team at PSVS are here to provide you and your pet with exceptional, cutting edge, compassionate care, comprehensively guiding you through the surgical process. We believe in a collaborative approach, working seamlessly as a team both within our different specialties here at PSVS and with your family veterinarian to provide a full continuum of care.
Both of our surgeons are board-certified in surgery, meaning they went through rigorous, advanced training in surgery after becoming a veterinarian to specialize in advanced surgical techniques. They have many years of experience providing the full range of advanced surgical procedures, including orthopedic surgery, soft tissue surgery, and minimally invasive surgery including laparoscopy and arthroscopy.
We are passionate about making surgery as least traumatic and comfortable as possible to make your pet’s recovery as easy as possible. Surgery can be invasive, but our surgeons and surgical team are passionate about pain management and provide minimally invasive alternatives (using small fiberoptic cameras and instruments to perform surgeries through small incisions) with some surgeries to minimize postoperative pain. We take pride in offering advanced multimodal pain control, utilizing different techniques such as nerve blocks and long-acting numbing agents to numb the surgical site.
Each pet and family is unique which encourages our surgeons to take an individualized approach to each patient. They will comprehensively discuss surgical and non-surgical options (if applicable) and work with you to determine the best option for you and your pet.
Some of the common surgical procedures we provide here include:
- Cranial cruciate ligament stabilization (TPLO or lateral suture)
- Patellar luxation repair (i.e. “slipped” or dislocating kneecap)
- Trauma-related surgery (such as broken bones/fractures, joint/ligament/tendon injuries)
- Femoral head and neck excision
- Growth deformity surgery
- Hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia
- Lameness evaluation
- Medical management of back pain
- Platelet Rich Plasma injections for arthritis
Soft Tissue Surgery:
- Oncologic (cancer) surgery, often in collaboration with our Oncologist, Dr. Vanessa Rizzo
- Ear canal ablation
- Urogenital surgery (bladder stones, cystotomy, cystectomy)
- Salivary mucocele
- Gastrointestinal disease (foreign body, enterotomy, resection and anastomosis)
- Rectal / Anal gland mass excision
- Perineal urethrostomy
- Wound management and reconstruction
- Prophylactic surgery: Laproscopic gastropexy
- Maxillofacial/oral surgery, often in collaboration with our Dentist, Dr. Lindsey Schneider
Rest assured, if you choose PSVS for your pet’s surgery, they will be in caring, skilled hands during the entire process.